Thursday, May 13, 2010

6.3

Out of all the terms that we discussed this semester the most interesting concept to me was the idea of "storming". I can attest to the fact that when you first get into a group with people who you don't know it can be a little daunting: you're all pleasant to one another and try to get along, not wanting to ruffle any feathers. After a while, though, the niceness goes away, everyone wants to be heard, and ideas are shot down because people don't think that they are good enough. The idea of storming, which is where we "work through the niceness phase" and start to storm over other peoples' thoughts and ideas regarding the group goal. By doing this you can prevent the outcome of good results; instead of storming through the thoughts of others, if we listened to what everyone had to say and evaluating them not based on the idea that they aren't OUR ideas, but could be GOOD ideas can help us prevent this.

1 comment:

  1. I like your post because being apart of a new group may be challenging, especially if everyone else has already built a friendship with each other. I think my manager is trying to move towards the storming stage because everyone is nice to each other and always tries to work as a group. Although we have individual goals and tasks, the team I work with feels that achieving our goals as a group is easier or better than doing it solo. For example, when we have campaigns to reach a deposit goal, one of the employees (who has been there for 10 years) always wants to come up with a plan. However, my manager wants to hear each individual suggestion. Since the employee is experienced and has seniority, I think everyone agrees with her ideas rather than inputting their own because they assume she knows best. I like that my manager wants to hear our ideas and considers them because it makes me feel appreciated and eager to grow with the company.

    ReplyDelete