Wednesday, May 12, 2010

16.2

I chose my group observation paper on a group that calls themselves "Dork Night". Every Tuesday night they get together, have a couple beers, have dinner, and either go to a movie, go to a bar, or play some games (hence the name dork night). They've been getting together for about 3 years now, and no girls are allowed! I chose this group because I thought that it would be interesting to be a girl and observe this group of men (granted they were probably a little different than they would be if a girl actually wasn't around).

I thought that the group observation project was interesting and a fun experiment. I liked the concept of being an outsider and not influenced by what was already going on in order to make an unbiased statement about that group. My only concern was my group didn't have an actual leader and didn't necessarily have a goal or agenda, so it was hard to describe what goals they had trouble with.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Nessaw!

    I am jealous! It seems like you actually had a chance to observe a fun group for your project. I'm curious to know how you got to observe this particular group, since you’re a girl and the group is made up of men, as this was a violation of their group norm? In regards to the lack of a leader in the group, I'm sure it was interesting to see how the group decided on the logistics (i.e., what to do, where to go, whose driving etc...) of their "dork night". In addition, since you were able to see more than one meeting, I'm wondering if it was the same person from the week before or if different members of the group took turns on setting up a game plan? Lastly, I agree that this was a definitely an interesting project as I have never done anything like this myself for any of my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nessaw,

    I too would have never thought to observe a group of the opposite sex. I think everyone is curious about observing the opposite sex in one form or another. This seems like it can be difficult to accomplish(as you mentioned)because they could act differently because you were around. It may not seem as if the group has rules or agendas or norms, but I believe they actually do. I think that is the fun part to see how we can discover them when we are put into diffeent situations. What was one key aspect that you took away with you from this experience? If you had the opportunity, would you do it again?

    Henry

    ReplyDelete